Friday, August 29, 2008

3 weeks today...


I have officially been away from my family 3 weeks today. It is so hard to believe it hasn't been that long. It really feels like it has been longer, months actually. I remember the day that I left like it was yesterday. Gabriel knocked on the glass of the security check point as I was going thru it and he waved to me and blew me a kiss. Amanda was holding Lily right behind him and waved to me. My chest hurt and my stomach dropped. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, and I hope that after this I will never have to do it again. A family belongs together, we belong together.

The official word came yesterday that by the end of the day Monday, I should have internet, phone, and my household goods all set up and ready to go in my new room. To me that is when this journey officially starts. It will be like sealing the deal that this is actually going to me my home for the next 11 months or so. Bare white walls and a thin old carpet. A 20 year old bed and a community shower. Some home...

Do any of you ever put off going to sleep because you just get this gut feeling that you shouldn't? Like if you go to sleep it's like you are wasting time or you won't wake up? I feel that way sometimes here. I don't know if it's the fear that something will happen to me in the middle of the night or fear that I will have a bad dream about my family. I have found that most nights I have to actually count sheep in my head in order to get to sleep, otherwise I will lay there for hours before falling asleep. One of the many joys of being here I guess.

In addition to it being my three week anniversary here, today was also my promotion ceremony. I thought I would be a lot more excited about it when the time came, but I wasn't. I have been working so hard for this promotion for a long time and when I finally make it, my family and friends couldn't be here for it. Just like they won't be here for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's. Wow I am in a really depressed mood today. Definitly not my strongest moment since I have been here. I guess there will be good days and bad days. Today is just the worst I have felt.

I am going to post the pictures of my promotion ceremony on my facebook page because there are to many to put on here. As the New Zealand officers would say...Cheers! Until next time...

No comments: