Sunday, September 28, 2008

Topic of the Day...

Okay, I had a thought about the blog. I know many friends and family are out there reading (but not making comments - shame on you) but honestly I am running out of things to talk about. I enjoy giving weekly status reports about what has been going on, but people want more...And I like to give the people what they want. So that is EXACTLY what I am going to do. Starting with this post, I want people to post comments (or send me emails) about topics they want me to talk about. Ask questions, learn about Korea, learn about me...anything you want. So after this entry, post a comment about what you want, and so on and so forth. To start things off I will answer a question that was asked not to long ago, to give you an idea of what I am looking for.

TOPIC OF THE DAY!

Question: "Louie, what is the food like in Korea?"

Well this is a hard question to answer on paper, so I am going to break it down into two Categories: Things I like but are hard to get! and Things I never ate, but now I do!. I am not going to get into things I don't eat anymore simply because you all know I am on a diet and I can't eat more than half the stuff I used to so I am leaving that out. So here is your answer (or at least the best way I can put it).

Things I like but are hard to get!

#5) Side Dishes - Seriously in Korea, they don't believe in Mashed Potatoes, Mac and Cheese, Corn, or French Fries. When you go to Korean restaurants all you get is meat, veggies, and this weird noodle stuff that tastes like death on a plate (no offense to those who enjoy eating poop).
#4) Chicken Strips - Everyone who knows me knows the HUGE love I had for the Chicken Strips at Jim and Nicks! I miss them so much, mmmmmmm...Oh yeah, but seriously every restaurant in the states, even Mexican places, have chicken strips for those that don't like cultural food. Here you either eat it or go hungry.
#3) A Knife - Yes I know this isn't food but it is pretty important when it comes to food. You go out and they give you this huge slab of meat that you cook yourself in front of you. But them how the heck do I cut it? Well this is when the "waitress" comes over, picks up the meat with tongues, pulls out a pair of scissors from her apron and CUTS IT!
#2) Condiments - You will not find salt, pepper, or ketchup in Korean, at least not a restaurant. Why I don't know. I think everything I have mentioned so far is why every Korean I have seen is skinny and the US has the largest over group of over weight people in the world. Huh...
#1) PIZZA - OMG I think I am dying without it. There is no pizza here. There is a Anthony's pizza in Seoul on base, but every time I have gone (probably 10-12 times in less than two months) they are either closed or out of pizza and not making more. First thing I do (food wise) when I get home is order Papa Johns!

Things I never ate, but now I do!

#5) Hot Wings - I love chicken wings, I always have. But never really been into anything hot. Well the DFAC (chow hall, dining facility) here on base makes the greatest chicken wings I have ever had, and guess what they are HOT AS HELL. It takes at LEAST 5 or six full glasses of water to get through 8 wings, but I love them!
#4) Fruit - No I don't mean apples and bananas, everyone eats those. I mean oranges, mangos, grapes, melons, pineapple, kiwi, and pears. I love them all. They are great for my diet and I can pretty much eat as much as I want.
#3) Lean Cuisine - Oh Swedish Meatballs, how I love thee, let me count the ways...I LOVE THEM! Very healthy, great for my diet, and cheap! What else can you ask for from a guy who has no way of cooking anything that doesn't fit in a microwave!
#2) Water - Okay its not a food, but lets face it...I never drank enough water. Diet Coke was my life. Oh Diet Coke...How I love thee...sorry. But seriously I have gone 27 days without a soda, and aside from the occasional cup of coffee/tea, and the milk from my slim-fast...I only drink water!
#1) Onions - Yes that's right, Mr. I hate Veggies is here to say, that onions are amazing! Well the way the Koreans prepare them anyway. I will have to see when I go home if I still feel the same way. But they just fill a saucer dish with Soy Sauce, chop up the raw onion and soak it in the dish and serve it to you that way! My life is complete again.

So there you have it! I hope you like the idea for the blog and begin to participate in it. I think it is a fun way to keep things moving and keep you guys interested. WE CAN TALK ABOUT ANYTHING!

Until Next Time...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Before you left you said that the Koreans line up on the DMZ and stand in each others' faces for an entier shift. Do they really do that?