Thursday, April 2, 2009

Selective Memory...

What did you have for lunch yesterday? Shit I can't remember either.

One of the biggest issues I have had since I have been in Korea is remembering what other people tell me. Amanda and I talk on the phone at least once a day, but most of the time its several times a day for sometimes hours at a time. However, most of the time I can't remember what it was we talked about. Does that mean I have a bad memory?

I think the answer is no. I think this happens to everyone. It's called selective memory. You remember the things that your mind thinks is important and everything else just goes in one ear and out the other. Now I am not saying that 95% of what my wife says isn't important. I will give you an example of what I mean.

I have been to Disney World 4 times in the last 10 years. Now going to Disney World is a pretty big deal and something that most people would remember for the rest of their lives. But can I remember every detail? No, not at all. I remember going, I remember when I went, and I can remember certain things in detail that I consider to be special moments. I remember them so well in fact it as if it happened yesterday.

My memories are a win/lose situation for me right now. They are what keeps me going everyday, but when they get really intense and I start thinking about them in detail, I get depressed. Two stuck out in my head this week and almost put me in tears a couple of times.

One memory was of my leave trip home...All four of us were on the bed playing around and we were all jumping on each other...laughing and tickling each other. The other was of...well a really great Valentine's day present I got the first year Amanda and I were married...I will just leave it at that.

I guess the morale of the story is...we are always listening, we just might not always hear you, but we never forget the stuff that matters in our hearts. Sometimes it is okay to forget things, just means that you are making room for the real memories.

Until next time...

No comments: